Don Yates wrote:
I'm sure it's partly due to artistic evolution -- some folks just

> genuinely feel like moving in different directions.  Then again, I'd bet
> my Hitchike to Rhome album that label pressure is also often a factor.  I
> don't think it's any accident that all of the bands mentioned above have
> signed to the rock divisions of major labels, and those labels could
> really give a flying fuck about fiddles and steel guitars.  They're trying
> to break these bands at alternative radio, and I think it's naive to think
> there hasn't been any pressure exerted by those labels to deemphasize the
> twang.  Often, the bands are happy to go along.--just call me smilin' don

As an example of how much label influence may be involved, rumor has it that
Sophie B. Hawkins, not an artist known for her twang (cause she's had none)
has a completed album sitting in her label's hands currently unreleased.
Point of the argument between her and the label is that one of the cuts slated
for release as a single has a banjo performing lead duties rather than a
guitar.  She refuses to change it while the label is demanding it.  Or so I've
heard.

Iceman