James Gerard Roll wrote:

> I think that the bottom line is that Alt-Country is the commercial kiss of
> death.  Nobody has really broken thru (Lucinda not excepted), and the
> radio format is a complete commercial wasteland. When you consider that
> these people (Wilco, etc.) are on major labels, and have been at this a
> long time, and want to keep their jobs, it shouldn't be such a mystery
> that they are very defensive when they seemingly cannot distance
> themselves from their past.

Seems like these types also forget that there are some folks who
seem to be doing pretty playing alt.country/roots rock/whatever you
want to call it; folks like Steve Earle, Dwight Yoakam, Lyle Lovett,
Rosanne Cash, Mary Chapin-Carpenter, Emmylou Harris, and
some others I'm not thinking of at the moment, who came from the
musical fringe and who, for the most part have stayed there.

Tweedy should stop protesting (first it was the internet, now it's the
alt.country tag) and try to write some decent songs. I'll gladly
nominate Being There as one of the most overrated records of the
90s. There aren't enough good songs on there to make a good
single disc, let alone two.

No fan o' Tweedy,
Dave
np: Mike Johnson - Year of Mondays