> On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Terry A. Smith wrote:
>
> > And how does "No Depression" as a name for a magazine prove anything about
> > Uncle Tupe's music itself? They're the media, right? If they see Uncle
> > Tupelo as big influential innovator, that's fine. But it doesn't
> > necessarily prove anything. -- Terry Smith
>
> except that MY ONLY POINT was that the media has dubbed them as the
> originators of this movement and that THAT is what Tweedy is distancing
> himself from.
>
> --JR

Actually, you made a few more points than that.  My point, whether it
dovetails apositively with your point or not, is that whatever media
proclaimed Uncle Tupelo the originator of alt.country MUSIC suffer from a
musical blind spot that's several decades huge. No argument, however, with
the reality -- which is that somebody's wrongheaded assessment of Uncle
Tupelo as a Brand New Musical Thang did, in fact, inspire a revitalization
of the country-rock genre -- young rock bands playing country-type material.
So we're both right -- they started something, but that something was
started under false pretenses, whether UT intended it or not. I'm sure
they didn't.

Hey, there's no harm in arguing this stuff, is there? My wife thinks I'm
dense, too. -- Terry Smith