<<There's a story developing here regarding the current state of
"Americana."
(TM)Who's going to write it? (c'mon Mr. Slack - tell it like it is>>)>>

Caution: the following are assumptions, though I suspect close to the truth:

Someone probably wanted Americana to still be Americana - in other words,
keeping the current reporting stations intact, which for the majority are
not huge and potentially impacting, and someone else probably wanted to
slick it up a bit. Maybe start a singles chart. Change the name. Blah blah
blah. The circle goes round and round and you can only suspect and theorize
who wants what. Bottom line: the stuff ain't selling and not many people are
paying attention to it, and maybe Gavin or whoever else involved the
Americana mafia are finally beginning to realize it and feel the need for
changes to be made before Gavin just gives up on it. I mean, when Dale
Watson's only selling appox 10,000 copies, maybe some changes should be
made. Who knows. I'm just guessing...........I know I wouldn't want that
damn job....