On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, BARNARD wrote:

> I tend to agree with JP that the "Tupelo" vein of twangy
> alt-rock was never destined to break big, but should be distinguished from
> the Austin-and-elsewhere style of *country* outside the Nasvegas
> mainstream.  This latter vein, to my mind, is another thing altogether,
> and something that with the right marketing and support could do
> better....

        Actually, I fully agree with what the professor writes above and
what Bob Soron was, I think, partially referring to in his post. There
*is* a difference between "Tupelo Rock" (trademark pending) and the
retro-roots stylings of bands like the Derailers/Dale Watson/the Mavericks
etc, and the latter surely could be marketed more cannily to those who are
dissatisfied with commerical country radio. But I don't see a whole lot of
growth on the Tupelo Rock side of things; it's just too rock for country
and too country for rock'n'roll, as they say. But really, do I care if Jay
Farrar never sells 1,000,000 copies of anything? As long as he can make a
living in this silly business, I suspect he'll be reasonably content and
will continue making music.

                                   Kip