><<There's a story developing here regarding the current state of
>"Americana."
>(TM)Who's going to write it? (c'mon Mr. Slack - tell it like it is>>)>>
>
>Caution: the following are assumptions, though I suspect close to the truth:
>
>Someone probably wanted Americana to still be Americana - in other words,
>keeping the current reporting stations intact, which for the majority are
>not huge and potentially impacting, and someone else probably wanted to
>slick it up a bit. Maybe start a singles chart. Change the name. Blah blah
>blah. The circle goes round and round and you can only suspect and theorize
>who wants what. Bottom line: the stuff ain't selling and not many people are
>paying attention to it, and maybe Gavin or whoever else involved the
>Americana mafia are finally beginning to realize it and feel the need for
>changes to be made before Gavin just gives up on it. I mean, when Dale
>Watson's only selling appox 10,000 copies, maybe some changes should be
>made. Who knows. I'm just guessing...........I know I wouldn't want that
>damn job....

First off, "The Truckin' Sessions" as of last week has sold less than 4000
units since its release in August.  So the sales impact of "Americana"
radio is even less than most assume.

Anyway...

I think the name "Americana" sucks.  As a word it connotes a wide array of
meanings, none of which immediately bring to mind the kind of music that
seems to be be taking over a chart that was once dominated by folky
singer-songwriter crap.

My thinking is that Gavin should take advantage of the widespread disgust
and disillusionment with country radio (which truly is the root of all evil
- Nashville makes records according to the perceived tastes of programmers)
by scrapping the folky reporting stations, renaming the chart "Alternative
Country" and positioning the whole thing similarly to the way Alternative
Rock was positioned in opposition to AOR ten years ago.

How will this help sell records?  First, changing the name from the hazy
"Americana" to something with the word "country" in it will clearly define
the whole raison d'etre of the format as an actual alternative to the dreck
on country radio,  Though my research is informal and anecdotal (my mom and
her friends were the focus group) I believe lots of country fans are sick
of country radio.  A clearly defined format can be more easily marketed to
disaffected country fans.

Second, and most importantly, as alternative rock caused AOR to loosen up
and start playing U2 and REM then Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden, then Rage
Against the Machine, I believe even a moderately successful alternative
country format will force mainstream programmers to broaden their playlists
to include acts such as The Derailers, Dale Watson, and Kelly Willis and
maybe even consign Shania and her ilk to some sort of Adult Contemporary
Country format.    Then we will begin to see sales impact.

Of course, what we really need is our own Nirvana.  After hearing a bit of
their new recordings and considering their slight but important impact at
mainstream country with  "California Angel" I'm thinking maybe The
Derailers are the right horse on which to bet.

NP: The Trial of William Jefferson Clinton