[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>  > Well, well, well....maybe if they started playing folks like Dale
>  > Watson, The
>  > Derailers, Duane Jarvis, Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Rosie Flores,
Kelly
>  > Willis, Jann Browne, Heather Myles, Mike Ireland, Lucinda,
>  > Lauderdale, Cisco,
>  > The Hollisters, Buddy Miller and Steve Earle they'd get those
>  > listeners back.
>  >
>  > .....just a thought!
>

>  And a nice one, too, but also a questionable one.  These folks are already
>  on the air in many major markets, and they have albums out, too, yet they
>  don't, with the occasional exception, seem to be drawing listeners and
>  buyers in the kind of numbers that mainstream country radio is looking for,

= Jon, I don't have the numbers, however, these ears just don't hear the heavy
rotation for the folks I've listed compared to the air time that country
charts toppers are getting (and it might be a case of the chicken/egg
scenario)

I'd say that if people heard The Derailers "100% Pure Fool" as much as they
heard "This Kiss" they'd have bought just as many!  Most country radio
stations seem to play a handful of artists over and over again.  So, why not
"brainwash" them with some really good stuff?  How about hearing "Who Did You
Call Darlin" 20 times a day?  Play it.....they will come.....

Check out the spins that most singles are getting on the country charts as
compared to the Americana charts.  That's where some of the answers may be
"hidden."  I'm certainly no fortune teller, but, I know that if I heard "Lose
Nut Behind the Wheel" over the airwaves I'd be calling up the station and
asking to hear it again and again.

>  I frankly think that what's happening is that the novelty factor is wearing
>  off for a lot of the newer country listeners, and they're off to look for
>  the Next Big Thing without much concern for whether it's labeled rock or
pop
>  or something else again.

=Your point about the novelty of the music for all the newcomers is a good
one.  Hopefully, Disco will make a comeback and they can all head in that
direction!

Best,
Kate

N.P. Willie - Teatro (what gorgeous CD this is for a real snowy day)