> Looking at the matter in terms of the country music industry and the way
> that it works, Twain's career, at least through The Woman In Me, bears a
> considerable resemblance to that of some of the 70s Outlaws - that is to
> say, a struggle with "conservative" producers and label execs over her
> desire to pursue a new sound that could appeal beyond the "normal" country
> audience by bringing in pop/rock elements.
>
> Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/

Jon, you keep making this point, but I'd argue that you're overstating the
resemblance between Twain's career (and, by necessity, her music, since
that's her career) and that of the 70s outlaws. They actually could write
songs, or had the good judgment to pick songs, with some staying power and
grit. I'm not a soothsayer, so I can't say this for sure, but I'll bet my
bottom dollar that the tunes of Kris Kristofferson and Outlaw era Willie
will be around when Shania's been long forgotten.

As I said before, there's rock influences and then there's rock
influences, and they're not all floating around on the same, precise
relativist plain. -- Terry Smith