Diana Quinn wrote:

> On another note: -- there IS a real virus floating around -- called
> happy99.exe (or something similar). I've received this executable as an
> attachment four times in the past week, but, thank goodness, didn't open
> it. If you open it (it's a little video of fireworks in the sky), it'll
> attach itself to every email that YOU then send out! boo! there's
> evidently a fix at an url that someone mailed. me. This really IS a
> virus!

An addendum from the Computer Virus Myths page
(http://www.kumite.com/myths/):

***
28 Jan 99

I GOT SWAMPED again with email concerning MSNBC reporter
Bob Sullivan's story about "Happy99.EXE." Let me remind
everyone: 2.8 trillion other filenames might also contain a virus or
Trojan horse. We may wind up reading an MSNBC story about
each one. I can't remember 2.8 trillion filenames, so I boiled it down
to just two sentences:

Beware any file sent by someone you don't know. Beware any file
sent by someone you DO know.

Let me also remind everyone: computer security alerts never die ...
they just get a new life-cycle.
***

Dave

***