-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: passenger side <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Monday, March 15, 1999 10:33 PM
Subject: Re: Clip: The state of country radio

>In a message dated 3/15/99 9:40:41 PM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>writes:
>
><< Just happened to be station-surfing Sunday morning on the way back from
the
> gig in Knoxville and came across Elton John's "Hold Me Closer, Tiny
Dancer"
> rock/pop operretta -- it features, in addition to overblown strings and an
> overall baroque-rock arrangement, a pedal steel! I seemed to have
forgotten
> about EJ using steel in a lot of his 70's stuff. >>
>
>"Tumbleweed Connection" was an amazing album. I still listen to it every
once
>in a while. Was it alt. country?
>
>Slim

Maybe alt.country/pop given some of the embellishment in arrangement <g>.
Some beautiful stuff on that album.  I also play it every now and then, btw.
"Come Down In Time" with the moody oboe and harp backing is still one of my
favorite ballads.
I've read that John was very enamoured of the American Old West when he was
a kid.
He enjoyed reading cowboy and indian epics and always dreamed of visiting.
It was said he was further
inspired to write the songs on TC due to his promo trip to the states for
"Your Song".
Encouraged by that lp, I also bought "Madman Across The Water" with that
"Tiny Dancer" song some have mentioned here.  Not a bad album, but
definitely lost interest in John, except for a few random singles every now
and then heard on the radio. Perhaps if he had taken the concept of
Tumbleweed Connection further...
Tera