Thanks for posting that Marie. Here's a clip from the Bottlerockets
interview that ties in with some of what's been discussed here lately, I
think. <g>

Jim

                                  WM: You don't like roots rock I take it.
                                  BH: Oh, I love roots rock, it cracks me
up. The whole idea
                                  of singling it out and naming it
something to insure it never
                                  gets on the radio cracks me up.

                                  WM: So you are a lot like Jay and the
other artists ... you
                                  don't want to be pigeonholed.
                                  BH: It was a really good name to kill
everything. Ok lets call
                                  it alternative country. Look at that.
Look at the breadth of
                                  the stuff that's in there. So if you
happen to be an alternative
                                  country band with a rock song such as...
Like I told you the
                                  other night, if Exile on Main Street were
 to be made today,
                                  it would be considered alternative
country. So it ain't gonna
                                  get on the radio. It will never happen.
They'll never listen to it
                                  cause it'll be brought to them as
alternative country and it
                                  wont go. Not on big radio. Big radio
sucks.

                                  WM: So, you don't think that you guys and
 Wilco and Son
                                  Volt will ever become radio friendly to
the point of stardom,
                                  wealth, etc?
                                  BH: Well, Son Volt, Wilco, Uncle Tupelo
have been working
                                  at it for over 10 years now.

                                  WM: Consciously, do you think?
                                  BH: Not consciously, but still you know,
they have been
                                  drifting around as the icons, the upper
echelon. And they've
                                  been doing it since 88. Maybe its time to
 reevaluate. It's
                                  been 11 fucking years and no one's had
the big breakout hit
                                  yet.
                                  Tom Parr: Played a lot of college frat
parties. All the roots
                                  rockers.. it took them years to get
deals.
                                  BH: We're doing this new album, it's
gonna be called alt
                                  country, I guarantee it. Then you have
bands like the
                                  Derailers.

                                  WM: Do you like their music?
                                  BH: Yeah, I like the Derailers. That's
great, but it's a
                                  confusing single label to put on the
whole thing.

                                  WM: What do you think of the Academy of
Recording Arts
                                  and Sciences having a category called
Contemporary Folk
                                  for their Grammy awards, and then
nominating Lucinda
                                  Williams, Steve Earle, Lyle Lovett,
Wilco/Bragg EmmyLou
                                  Harris in that category?
                                  BH: So they're Contemporary Folk now
(laughs). What
                                  that's gonna do is place these artists
way in the back of
                                  record stores. I know that cause I went
looking for the
                                  Lucinda album. I asked the guy at the
store, where is it?
                                  Well, you go back there, turn left, it's
in the back of the
                                  store.

                                  WM: Ok, so you don't want to be labeled.
How would you
                                  describe your music to someone who
doesn't know you?
                                  BH: I would just say, it's a straight up
rock band with a guy
                                  that unfortunately has a bit of a country
 accent singing. So
                                  that's it.