Michael Berick writes:

>I'll second that. "The Whole Sheband" was a song that always perked up
>my ears and made my toes tap when it played on KCRW down here. it
>perfectly recalled the glam era without souding like a weak parody. This

>also reminds me that I never picked up the soundtrack. And the movie
>was a disappointing mess.

     The era was certainly worth documenting (word is that Bowie is also
working on his own film about the period) and there are parts of the
movie that I thought worked very well indeed.  In fact, I'll say this
about it:  It *looked* great.  But - like "Grace of My Heart" - it was
impossible to see any of the characters as anything other than carboard
cutouts of the real people on whom they were based and the structure of
the movie was liberally...ahem..."borrowed" from "Citizen Kane."
     The soundtrack is a pip, though.  A hoot from start to finish,
including some vintage glam tracks from the likes of Steve Harley, Roxy
Music, Lou Reed, and Brian Eno, new songs that very convincingly evoked
the sound of that period from Grant Lee Buffalo, Pulp, and Shudder to
Think, and some re-recordings of classic glam-rock hits by Teenage
Fanclub (with Donna Matthews) and others.  Dig out that old feather boa
and those stackheel boots and primp and preen in front of the mirror with
this as your soundtrack.
                                --Jon Johnson
                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                   Wollaston, Massachusetts