One thing about Mr. Verlaine--it always seemed to me that he was
tremendoiuskly influential as a vocalist, if being much-imitated counts in
that regard!  His phrasing and vocal tone pretty much sums up what people
originally expected from a punk vocal; sure, that would change again
post-hard core etc--but people suddenly all just "happened" to sing this
way--as they had with Elvis or Dylan (or Bing Crosby!) beiore that...and
Kobain and others later.  Follow popular music long enough and this part of
things HAS TO amuse you...litsen to hundreds of "new" acoustic
singer/songwriters now and you'll hear vowels and consanants emphasized
just so, rhythms and vocal ticks repeated just so--all of which become so
commonplace in a style that no one even remembers where it comes from, it's
just considred "acoustic singing in 1999"...

Well, Verlaine had one of those original vocal approaches, I say.   That's
no judgment on it--but he oughta get some credit for it.
 (Since this is P2, I'm sure 18 of you can show me where I'm wrong and he
copped that previously-knocked-over-the-head with-a large-iron-mallet style
of singing from somebody, or 38 somebody elses.  )

Barry