CK archly suggests:

> hope you're not suggesting that the list of 50's and 60's era singles are
> somehow superior to the singles of the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Since that
> would be wrong. <g>

No, but as several pointed out, the era in which the single ruled was
drawing to a close in the 70s and early 80s.  As a medium, as an
institution (running out to buy 45 rpm records by major artists, actually
playing them, etc...), as a way to conceptualize the writing, arranging,
production, etc., of a piece of music, they really mark an era.  In that
sense, it's fair to say there was indeed an "era" of the single which is
long over....

I certainly wouldn't suggest the music of one period is superior to that
of another, but that there was a period during which the 45 medium
dominated the airwaves and determined a lot of things about both the
production and reception of pop music, I think there is little doubt.

Smart-ass youngun! <g>
--junior