Lance, I'd say everything you wrote about Parker is dead on (I'd
better--I'm from KC where we just dedicated a huge Easter Island looking
bust of the Bird), but only IF we limit the discussion to jazz. If we look
to the whole of 20th century pop, however, which is what I was doing, then
Armstrong is the man. Satchmo was the foundation not just of modern jazz,
as you say, but of modern popular music.

And the edifice? I guess that'd have to be Elvis.  --david cantwell