I guess I'm not quite as comfortable with cause and effect as many of you
folks seem to be.  Say, for example, I think Louis Armstrong was the single
most influential 20th Century pop musician.  Armstrong was heavily
influenced himself by Buddy Bolden and King Oliver among many, many others.
In fact, without Bolden and Oliver and 'the rest', you don't have Louis
Armstrong as we know him.  Bolden influences countless people, among them
Louis Armstrong who influences countless people, among them Miles Davis who
influences countless people, ad nauseum.  As an intellectual pursuit I find
this tiresome.

As an emotional pursuit, I vote for Miles Davis and call it good.

~Greg