On Wed, 21 Apr 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Jon is obviously confused. The main reason you aren't hearing Mandy
> Barnett on your local country radio station is because it is on a label
> that is not based in Nashville.

You really think that's the main reason?  Then why didn't her first album
do anything on country radio?  Not only did it contain a number of fine
songs, but it was obviously more HNC-friendly than her new one.  I think
Jon's main point is that the powers-that-be that control country radio
(the folks who own the stations and the consultants who help program them)
are primarily responsible for what you hear on country radio.  That seems
pretty obvious to me.

Sure, the Nashville-based major labels are the source for the great bulk
of what's heard on country radio, but it's the stations who ultimately
decide what they are and aren't going to play from those labels.  Hence
the lack of airplay for Mandy's first Nashville label album, and hence the
awfully lackluster airplay (one high-charting single, and a couple of
great ones that bombed) for songs from The Key.  If the country radio
world ran according to Jim's logic, the almighty MCA would've been able to
run whatever they damn well pleased from the megapopular Vince Gill up the
country radio charts.  That's obviously not the case.

As for mainstream country radio not playing anything but stuff from the
big country major labels, please tell me how this is different than the
way it works in *any* commercial radio format.--don