> On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Terry A. Smith wrote:
>
> > pps it's been a great week; discovered via the library, Solomon Burke and
> > Lloyd Price. How'd I ripen into my 40s without having heard these guys?
> > Mysteries of life.

        Herr Yates:

> Yeah, right -- it's 'cuz you live in that cultural backwater known as the
> American Midwest.--don (who coincidentally played Solomon Burke on the
> Roadhouse last night)

        Uh-huh. Unlike that bastion of soul and r&b, the Pacific
Northwest. Give me a friggin' break. This is the Midwest, Yates, home of

the Chicago, St. Louis and Memphis blues scenes. St. Louis alone boasts
more classic soul combos and gospel groups than you can shake a stick at.
Jimi Hendrix and Sir-Mix-A-Lot excepted, y'all ain't got diddly compared
to us.

                                Kip