[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Joe Gracey writes:
>
> << .....One example I have always
>  found particularly grating was the Dead's vocals, which are like
>  fingernails on chalkboards to me, but which apparently don't bother
>  their fans. I find Dylan's early stuff to be engaging, his later stuff
>  to be almost painful, vocally.......<<
>
> Harrumph. Shoulda known that. This is the guy who gets to hear Kimmie Rhodes
> sing in the shower every morning. <g>
>
> Joe X.

I love singer's voices. Marcia Ball has one of the nicest speaking
voices. In fact, I think if I were forced to admit what it was I
actually do well, I would say record singer's voices, because I
understand them. I sort of take aural showers in them. Recording The
Willie was monumental for me because his voice goes to tape so
spectacularly.

I think that was one reason I loved Jimmy Day's steel so much- he played
the steel like a voice, singing.

--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records