At 22:21 24.04.99 +0000, you wrote:
>Tom Ekeberg wrote:
>>
>>  I didn't say whether not knowing how to/being
>> able to sing was a good or a bad thing.
>
>Which inescapably brings to mind a tape I heard this week
>of a guy called Eilert, who's supposedly a.k.a. The Swedish
>Elvis. Tom, do you know anything about this character? My
>ears are still killing me!
>
>Tom Smith

I have heard his CD, but I don't have a copy myself. I don't know too much
about him. He is definitely not able to sing. Whether he knows how to sing
is a matter of perspective I guess. I think he must have paid all expenses
related to the release of the CD out of his own pocket, because I can't see
how anyone would invest a penny on his music. People may actually lose
money underestimating the taste of the Swedish public. But I see that at
least one copy ended up in Tom's neighbourhood.

As for weird Elvises, I guess the worst example we have on our side of the
border would be Kjellvis (I think that's his name, but it could also be
Kjell-Elvis, I have a hard time keeping them apart) who spent somwhere
between 10.000 and 20.000 dollers on plastic surgery in order to look like
Elvis. Money that would be well spent taking singing lessons.

In Finland they are more sophisticated (in their own weird way), and they
have an Elvis named Jukka Ammondt (I know Tom has heard of this guy) who
has recorded Elvis songs in Latin and is now planning to do the same in
Sumerian. (On a related note I have an informal agreement with the bass
player in the Finnish band Slap Sally Combo, Katharina Eklund, to do
rockabilly in Sanskrit.)

In Norway we have a lady that's classical music's answer to Eilert. Her
name is Olga Marie Mikaelsen, and she is a self described lyrical alto. If
Eilert cracks you up, you need to hear her stuff. Or just read her self
penned liner notes.

Tom Ekeberg
Oslo, Norway
http://home.sol.no/~tekeberg/