The below isn't meant to shoot down your idea, but I'm an Open Source
groupware developer and am very familiar with the Exchange-vs-XYZ
equation.

> As per the subject, I am about to pitch the idea of dumping Exchange
> and moving to Postfix.  From what I can observe, the Calendar and
> Meeting functions are used very little if at all.  We have roaming
> profiles (call center area has no fixed seating and hectic
> scheduling).  Biggest use people get out of Exchange is the sorting /
> folders and that's nothing T-bird can't handle.

Postfix is an SMTP MTA;  it isn't an IMAP/POP server.  It can't replace
Exchange,  it isn't the same thing.  Cyrus IMAPd + Postfix can replace
the mail portion of Exchange,  but not Postfix alone.  The much more
difficult part is setting up [appropriately] the IMAP server and
clients.  Configuring Postfix is as easy as falling-off-a-log for most
sites.

> Ideally (laugh if you like):
> I want to set up Postfix on a second box and transition transparently,
> importing or converting anything and everything that can be imported
> or converted.  I want to tell management about how they can do
> everything they currently do on Exchange (i'll let them realize it's
> faster and less annoying after it happens).

But they can't, be careful what promises you make.

>  I need users to log in to any machine in the building and get the
> same IMAP and customization they currently have (again, roaming
> profiles and Thunderbird would handle this, right?  I've not banged my
> head against this kind of thing in Windows much, but now seems a good
> time to learn).  I want the general user population to notice as
> little as possible before, during and after the change, except for
> clicking Thunderbird (or whatever might be better) instead of Exchange
> to read their mail.

Yes, Thunderbird works with roaming profiles;  albeit rather badly.
Thunderbird has no auto-configuration mechanism so every user's
account(s) need to be setup manually and it is prone to making HUGE
cache files if not setup carefully.  All-in-all it is a rather lousy
IMAP client compared to others.  Why not just stick with Outlook?  Your
likely to have a much easier time with the users if they are used to
Outlook (and you already paid for it anyway).

> What are selling points i can outline for said management?  Is this
> even a good idea?  Realistic goal?  Something I shouldn't attempt
> unless I already know how?

It is realistic to replace the mail component.  But (a) will they
tolerate using a client other than Outlook and (b) if you have even a
few user's who use calendering how loud are they going to scream when
you take it away?   If your Exchange is working how do you justify the
cost [labor] of transition?  Effort to deliver a solution that provides
less functionality is a pretty hard business case.

> Essentially this is coming about due to a "need this dun nao!" for a
> new server that, it turns out, we have no windows server license for.
> Rather than coughing up the cash for Winserver 2k8 and the associated
> CALs (ouch), i'd like to point out to the Director that we can do
> everything we use exchange for, fer free.  We already have the

Is that true? "everything we use exchange for" needs to be *very*
carefully researched.

You can transition your license(s) from your old/existing server.

>  hardware (new robust server a database is going on, linux-based).  I
> hate trying to sell this kind of thing when my impulse is to wave my
> arms around yelling "IT'S OBVIOUS!" :)

But it isn't.
--
          Consonance: an Open Source .NET OpenGroupware client.
 Contact:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://freshmeat.net/projects/consonance/