On Sep 10, 2008, at 10:38 AM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Tuesday, September 09, 2008 10:50 PM -0400 Aaron Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The below isn't meant to shoot down your idea, but I'm an Open Source
groupware developer and am very familiar with the Exchange-vs-XYZ
equation.

As per the subject, I am about to pitch the idea of dumping Exchange
and moving to Postfix.  From what I can observe, the Calendar and
Meeting functions are used very little if at all.  We have roaming

"very little" is entirely different from not at all.  The
calendar/contact/etc functionality of Exchange is very powerful and
Postfix et al will not provide the same functionality (maybe with
something like $Zimbra) .  Are you sure your users don't need it, or
won't need it next month after the CEO sits next to somebody on a
plane that is real time syncing their Blackberry to their corporate
calendar, etc?

There's also the free version of Zimbra, although it is of course more limited in what it does, it does support IMAP/POP & calendaring, etc.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer

Hi,
I've been down this path before. Most business owners I've met aren't interested in the details of what technologies are used in MS vs open source.
They just want the features and want the system to be reliable/stable.

I've installed exchange, zimbra and open-xchange at different sites depending on their business needs.

Zimbra is definitely a well designed piece of software. It gives exchange a solid run for it's money while being more reliable and less expensive to run (integrated spam and anti-virus).

The thing you need to keep in mind is what other business software is this company running and does it REQUIRE OR DOES IT WORK BEST WITH exchange?

One place I work at decided to use zetafax ( a windows based fax server) without consulting with me. I would've suggested hylafax (www.ifax.com ).

Zetafax says it works with any email server via smtp but it's very obvious it's designed to work best with exchange. I've had to do some PITA modifications on zimbra to make zetafax work with it.

Please keep this in mind. What else is in your environment that may need to be integrated to your groupware server?

Hope this helps,

Oskar