--On Tuesday, September 09, 2008 10:50 PM -0400 Aaron Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The below isn't meant to shoot down your idea, but I'm an Open Source
groupware developer and am very familiar with the Exchange-vs-XYZ
equation.

As per the subject, I am about to pitch the idea of dumping Exchange
and moving to Postfix.  From what I can observe, the Calendar and
Meeting functions are used very little if at all.  We have roaming

"very little" is entirely different from not at all.  The
calendar/contact/etc functionality of Exchange is very powerful and
Postfix et al will not provide the same functionality (maybe with
something like $Zimbra) .  Are you sure your users don't need it, or
won't need it next month after the CEO sits next to somebody on a
plane that is real time syncing their Blackberry to their corporate
calendar, etc?

There's also the free version of Zimbra, although it is of course more limited in what it does, it does support IMAP/POP & calendaring, etc.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer