Charles Marcus wrote:
On 10/7/2008, Wietse Venema ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
But the virtual how-to says the opposite... "never list a
virtual_mailbox_domain in mydestination"...

If you list smtp.example.com as a virtual domain, then do not list
it in mydestination.

Ok... more confusion...

1. 'smtp.example.com' is not a 'domain', it is a host name.

2. My system has been setup forever with the following:

mydomain = example.com
myhostname = smtp.example.com

(as per previously supplied postconf -n outpput)

but, example.com (the domain, not the hostname) is also listed in
virtual_mailbox_domains via the mysql lookup...

Is this OK/normal? I'm thinking yes, because:

yes, it's ok.

'smtp.example.com' != 'example.com'

and the host/system has to have one (and only one?) FQDN?

yes, _the_ hostname used by postfix must be FQDN.

Note that both smtp.example.com and example.com are FQDN.

Thanks, and I appreciate your patience in helping me to understand the
ramifications of adding virtual domains to my production system.

"virtual domains" is ambiguous. you are talking about virtual mailbox domains (contrast with virtual alias domains).

you can add as many virtual mailbox domains as you want:
- never list a single domain in multiple classes (a domain belongs to at most one of: local, virtual mailbox, relay, virtual alias)
- specify the list of valid users (virtual_mailbox_maps)
- if you deliver via "virtual" (this is the default), virtual_mailbox_maps must return the mailbox location (relative to virtual_mailbox_base) - you can have a per mailbox uid:gid or use a single uid:gid for all mailboxes (the maps are then: static:1234, where 1234 is the uid or gid). - alias_maps only apply to local domains. if you want aliases for non local users, use virtual_alias_maps (which applies to _all_ mail, even if the domain isn't yours)

since you use mysql, take a look at the howto on workaround.org for inspiration.