On 2024-05-22 at 19:03:48 UTC-0400 (Thu, 23 May 2024 11:03:48 +1200)
Peter via Postfix-users <pe...@pajamian.dhs.org>
is rumored to have said:

On 23/05/24 10:33, Northwind via Postfix-users wrote:
[...]
The attack continues at this time.

My questions are:
1. what's the purpose of this kind of attack? Brute force password cracking, or DDoS?

Likely brute force.

Not exactly.

"Brute force" password cracking is almost never seen today, as it has been replaced by a practice commonly called "credential stuffing" where the attacker has some large collection of known-good username+password combinations from another source (e.g. one of the many "breaches" of online systems) and is simply trying the same combinations on your system. This is a much more targeted attack and so can be slow enough to evade rate-limit based protections.

This means that you need more prevention than was needed with classic brute force. An attacker may not be working from a list of random names and passwords or from common names and passwords, but from some smaller list of names and passwords specific to your domain and users, so the chances of a hit are based on whether your users use the same passwords everywhere.

All the other suggestions are good, and I would add that in addition to using Geo-IP data for excluding by country or region, you can proactively exclude other large blocks at the packet level quite broadly. The Spamhaus DROP list of criminal-controlled ranges would be the first step, as you can rely on nothing you want coming from those ranges. Next, you can look at the IPs which are doing the authentication probes and find large blocks of cheap hosting from which none of your users will ever be logging in. For example, you can count on never seeing legitimate traffic on ports 465 or 587 (or any of the POP and IMAP ports) from AWS, GCP, Linode, Digital Ocean, OVH, Alibaba, or Azure network ranges.

It is also helpful as a matter of system design to decouple user email addresses from their login usernames. For example, all of the email addresses I give to companies are aliases, so none of them are at all useful if compromised in a breach. The username I use to authenticate to my mail server cannot be mailed from anywhere but the mail server itself. This assures that no matter how many systems get breached where I've got an account, none of those usernames and passwords are useful to the thieves. I set this up almost 30 years ago as a spam control measure, but the greatest benefit has been in basic account security.

--
Bill Cole
(AKA @grumpybozo@toad.social and many *@billmail.scconsult.com addresses)