On 2024-05-23 at 20:12:09 UTC-0400 (Fri, 24 May 2024 12:12:09 +1200)
Peter via Postfix-users <pe...@pajamian.dhs.org>
is rumored to have said:

On 24/05/24 01:42, Bill Cole via Postfix-users wrote:
[...]
It is also helpful as a matter of system design to decouple user email addresses from their login usernames. For example, all of the email addresses I give to companies are aliases, so none of them are at all useful if compromised in a breach. The username I use to authenticate to my mail server cannot be mailed from anywhere but the mail server itself. This assures that no matter how many systems get breached where I've got an account, none of those usernames and passwords are useful to the thieves. I set this up almost 30 years ago as a spam control measure, but the greatest benefit has been in basic account security.

This is good advice for the email admin personally but increases the complexity for other users to a point where it's probably not worth it, imo. To elaborate aliases are great, but trying to reject email to the primary mailbox address, or trying to force users to pick a different username to their primary mailbox email address can be problematic.

Right, it is difficult to retrofit a robust model with arcane aliasing kinks onto an existing userbase. It is much less hard to switch users from authenticating as cuten...@example.com to cuten...@mailauth.example.com even though they still get all their mail at the simpler, preferred address. The critical point is to make the session authentication identity for mail different from the mail delivery address, because they have definitely used that delivery address for authentication elsewhere.

--
Bill Cole
(AKA @grumpybozo@toad.social and many *@billmail.scconsult.com addresses)