On 2024-07-11 at 02:42:26 UTC-0400 (Thu, 11 Jul 2024 06:42:26 +0000)
Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay via Postfix-users <r...@med-lo.eu>
is rumored to have said:

Hi,

I was wondering - is it possible to bounce e-mails for non-existent addresses when using a catchall?

Define your terms clearly and you willhave a better time finding answers.

What do you mean by "non-existent addresses" in a context where a "catchall" exists.

I don't know if I did something wrong, but here's what I did:

I configured postfix successfully to get my mailboxes and aliases from ldap. On ldap, I have an alias "*@domain" that works as a catchall. I see that postfix accepts it:

$ postmap -q @domain.com  ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap/ldap-aliases.cf
catch...@domain.com

Every mail to the domain goes also to the catchall, so it works fine.

So every address exists. You have defined them as existing with the catchall.

BUT I'd love to bounce e-mails sent to inexistent users, while still getting a copy of those on the catchall.

Is this possible at all?

Not without a more careful definition of what you mean and what you want.

If you want to have a list of "existing" addresses and only accept mail to those and to send them all to the same mailbox, that can be done, although LDAP would not be the backend of choice.

--
Bill Cole
(AKA @grumpybozo@toad.social and many *@billmail.scconsult.com addresses)