    http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html

> I've looked through the books/man pages and I understand some but not all
> of what I see when I turn up the logging. I was hoping for some guidance.

What real problem are you solving? Generally you should not care what
queries are done by Postfix to process the table lookups you have
configured. If you have performance issues, have you looked into
proxymap(8). Generally, all LDAP tables other than those used exclusively
by trivial-rewrite(8) should be "proxy:ldap:..." tables.

The main exceptions are:

        mydestination
        relay_domains
        virtual_alias_domains
        virtual_mailbox_domains
        transport_maps
        relocated_maps

See the "ROUTING CONTROLS" section of trivial-rewrite(8).

> I am seeing the following activity on Mail from command:
> client MTA --> Mail from: some...@some-internet-host.com
> Trivial-rewrite: relay_domains lookup using author's domain
> <-- not found response
> Can someone explain why  the relay_domains performed  on the mail from domain?

Because the code in trivial-rewrite/resolve.c needs the information.

> My understanding and intent was to have this lookup using the recipient
> address?

Both sender and recipient addresses need to be resolved to a (transport,
nexthop, address, flags) tuple for various SMTP server features to
work robustly.

> What configuration is causing the following queries and
> why is this being invoked for the Internet author?

Don't use LDAP for "relay_domains", "transport_maps", ... if you want
to reduce LDAP query load and queue-manager latency.

> Any help is greatly appreciated - Charles
>
> bounce_size_limit = 1
> bounce_template_file = /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/bounce.cf
> command_directory = /opt/zimbra/pf.inet/sbin
> config_directory = /home/space/zimbra/pf.inet/conf
> daemon_directory = /opt/zimbra/pf.inet/libexec
> data_directory = /opt/zimbra/pf.inet/data
> debug_peer_level = 2
> disable_vrfy_command = yes

> local_recipient_maps = ldap:/opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-vam.cf

Use "proxy:ldap:..."

> transport_maps = ldap:/opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-transport.cf

Avoid LDAP here if possible.

> virtual_alias_maps = ldap:/opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-vam.cf

Use proxy:ldap:... AND explicitly define "virtual_alias_domains" as
either empty or to use a non-LDAP source if possible.

> virtual_mailbox_domains = ldap:/opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-vmd.cf

Avoid LDAP here if possible.

> virtual_transport = error

Why? This looks wrong. If there are no virtual mailboxes, why do you
have virtual_mailbox_domains?

--
        Viktor.