On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 06:33:45PM +0000, Charles Account wrote:

> Thanks for the information. I am investigating performance issues and
> trying to understand the 'dos  and don'ts' of Postfix.
> On mail received from the Internet, I'm seeing the following query:
>
> Apr  7 10:05:07 example postfix/trivial-rewrite[18098]:
>   dict_ldap_lookup: /opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-transport.cf:
>   Searching with filter
>
> (&(|(zimbraMailDeliveryAddress=\2A)(zimbraDomainName=\2A))(zimbraMailStatus=enabled))

This is normal, and happens very infrequently (process start-up).
You are wasting your time looking at the wrong data.

> I am not sure why it is sending this query at all.

Postfix needs the answer in order to provide the documented functionality
of transport(5).

> Secondly, the same
> query is sent a second time.I'm wondering what configuration is missing
> which is causing this query using asterisk to be sent.

If you use LDAP for transport(5) (transport_maps) lookups, this query is
unavoidable, but it has no performance impact, you really should stop
looking at individual LDAP queries and identify the real problem you
are trying to solve.

    http://www.postfix.org/QSHAPE_README.html

Which is the high latency stage of mail delivery? What is the cause
of the observed latency? Please post no more LDAP queries until you can
demonstrate that LDAP queries have a significant impact on the performance
(message delivery latency) of your MTA.

--
        Viktor.