On 9/5/2024 9:05 AM, Thomas Cameron via Postfix-users wrote:

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
     check_sender_access regexp:/etc/postfix/sender_access
     permit_mynetworks
     permit_auth_destination

Note permit_auth_destination allows any mail addressed to you. This effectively bypasses all your nice rbl rules below.

     permit_sasl_authenticated
     reject_rbl_client [obfuscated].zen.dq.spamhaus.net=127.0.0.[2..11]
    reject_rhsbl_reverse_client [obfuscated].zrd.dq.spamhaus.net=127.0.2.[2..24]
     reject

This final reject on smtpd_recipient_restrictions is unneeded. I guess that's why you put the permit_auth_destination above. Just remove both of those.

This is not an exhaustive review of your restrictions, just something that jumped out at me.

So my overarching question is, am I being dense by rejecting these spammy domains? My sender_access file looks like this:

It's totally reasonable to reject whole TLDs that you don't expect to get legit mail from. Same with check_client_access and whole network blocks. Especially if you're prepared to make exceptions.

  -- Noel Jones