patpro--- via Postfix-users:
> On 21/09/2026 21:00, Ralph Seichter via Postfix-users wrote:
> > * Patrick Proniewski via Postfix-users:
> > 
> >> So I guess I can rent a VPS and send my SMTP flow through the VPS IP
> >> address. Question is: what would be the best way to do this?
> > 
> > "Best" is subjective. A typical approach is to rent a VPS or VM with at
> > least a static IPv4 address (plus IPv6 if available), and set up Postfix
> > on that machine as an outbound mail relay for authenticated clients.
> > 
> > Appropriate DNS records for forward and reverse resolution and SPF are a
> > must, or big players like Google or Microsoft won't accept mail from
> > your relayhost. Optional services like DKIM signing can be added. DNSSEC
> > should also be considered.
> 
> 
> Thanks. Fortunately I'm well aware of that, I operate my own email 
> server in a datacenter since around year 2000. Only change is, I might 
> have to move it in-house and my difficulty lies in the articulation of 
> the email stack (at home) and the VPS acting as an exit point for SMTP.
> 
> I'm not willing to store emails on the VPS (transit/queue file is the 
> max I'll do). Installing the full stack on the VPS it out of the picture.
> 
> The more I split things between the home server and the VPS, the more 
> complex the setup become, and I'm not too happy about complexity.
> 
> I wish I could just create a Wireguard tunnel that my home server could 
> use: that way, everything runs at home, including signing before sending 
> outside. I could not make it work (not a postfix problem, just a routing 
> problem).
> 
> Next `best idea' I have is to use postfix on the VPS to act as a relay, 
> but it means that - unless I'm mistaken - I need to set up signing on 
> the VPS. That's the role-splitting I wish I can avoid.

You can sign DKIM locally before sending to the relay.

To eliminate the MTA on the relay host, Postfix would need to have
Socks support: in the Postfix SMTP client to send mail, and in the 
Postfix SMTP and postscreen server to listen on port 25. I have
never tried that, but TOR people do at least the client side.

        Wietse
_______________________________________________
Postfix-users mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to