September 22, 2026 at 00:25, "Gerald Galster via Postfix-users" 
<[email protected] 
mailto:[email protected]?to=%22Gerald%20Galster%20via%20Postfix-users%22%20%3Cpostfix-users%40postfix.org%3E
 > wrote:
 
> There are two common options:
> 
> 1) Containerized
> 
> Create a container (systemd-nspawn, LXC, etc.) or a virtual machine
> for your home mail server. Then set up a WireGuard tunnel from inside
> the container to the VPS and configure the container's default route
> to use the WireGuard interface, with the VPS's WireGuard ip address
> as the gateway. This way connections that Postfix initiates as a client
> will be routed through the tunnel by default. On the VPS configure
> masquerading (or SNAT for the container's WireGuard ip) so that outgoing
> connections use the VPS's publicly routable ip address.
> 
> For incoming connections configure DNAT on the VPS to forward port 25
> to the container's WireGuard ip address.
> 
> Make sure ip forwarding is enabled on the VPS otherwise routing won't work.
> (cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward should return 1)


Thank you Gerald for this detailed reply.

I’m running FreeBSD both at home and on VPS, but it’s the idea I tried to 
implement with a Jail and Wireguard. 
I was not able to exclude local traffic from outbound traffic. 
Full traffic in VPN works, but I need the Jail to access local network too. 
This is something I need to investigate again.



> 2) Without a container

../..

I will definitely run my email stack in one or more Jails.


 
> 3) SOCKS5 (uncommon)
> 
> This approach requires tools like socksify or proxychains which use LD_PRELOAD
> to intercept system calls to make apps SOCKS5 compatible. On the VPS side 
> you'd
> need a SOCKS5 server such as Dante or just use sshd's SOCKS5 proxy (ssh -D),
> which also encrypts the otherwise plaintext SOCKS5 traffic.
> 
> I don't know if LD_PRELOAD is inherited by child processes spawned by Postfix.


Years ago I used socksify in a long-forgotten context, I could try again. 

patrick
_______________________________________________
Postfix-users mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to