Hi Brian

Everything you said makes a great deal of sense - thanks very much. I
have changed the RBL settings, as you advised.

Yes, the load has gone up considerably, particularly, we are seeing a
massive rise of spam traffic on this box (mainly on one or two of the
domains 30 domains its responsible for)

However, I have tried putting "proxy:" in front of my mysql maps and it
stopped it being able to receive email. Presumably, I need to enable
proxymap to get proxy maps to work. This is something I don't know how
to do.

This is what "postconf -d | grep proxy" returns:

local_recipient_maps = proxy:unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps
proxy_interfaces =
proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps $mydestination
$virtual_alias_maps $virtual_alias_domains $virtual_mailbox_maps
$virtual_mailbox_domains $relay_recipient_maps $relay_domains
$canonical_maps $sender_canonical_maps $recipient_canonical_maps
$relocated_maps $transport_maps $mynetworks
smtpd_proxy_ehlo = $myhostname
smtpd_proxy_filter =
smtpd_proxy_timeout = 100s

There are no lines with proxy in my main.cf, do I need to add in a
"proxy_read_maps"? If so what do I set it to?

Incidently, here is a copy of my "mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf" I did
initially have a few problems getting this working. If I use
proxy:mysql: will I need to change this?

user = <postfixuser>
password = <postfixpassword>
hosts = localhost
dbname = postfix
table = mailbox
#select_field = CONCAT(domain,'/',maildir)
select_field = maildir
where_field = username
additional_conditions = and active = '1'
#query = SELECT CONCAT(domain,'/',maildir) FROM mailbox WHERE
username='%s' AND active = '1'

Regards

Jon

[snip]