2009/5/29 Jon Harris <j.har...@digital-ink.co.uk>:
> However, I have tried putting "proxy:" in front of my mysql maps and it
> stopped it being able to receive email. Presumably, I need to enable
> proxymap to get proxy maps to work. This is something I don't know how
> to do.

Error logs?

My suspicion is that the proxy map isn't available for some reason.
Run `postconf -m` to check that proxy is actually a supported map type
(ie. was compiled into your distribution). This is a Debian machine of
mine, yours should be similar:

yoshino:~# postconf -m
btree
cidr
environ
hash
nis
pcre
pgsql
proxy
regexp
sdbm
static
tcp
unix

> This is what "postconf -d | grep proxy" returns:

`-d` shows you the defaults. Use plain `postconf` to show all relevant
values, so your grep will return useful results. Use `-d` when you're
reading the postconf manpage and want to know what the default is for
system-dependent stuff (at least, that's what I use it for).

> There are no lines with proxy in my main.cf, do I need to add in a
> "proxy_read_maps"? If so what do I set it to?

No. I've never seen it mentioned here; chances are you'll never need
to change it. proxy is something of a "magic" map type, you stack it
on another "real" map.

> If I use
> proxy:mysql: will I need to change this?

No. The proxy map basically just does connection sharing/pooling to
ease the load on mysql (when used on mysql tables).
http://www.postfix.org/proxymap.8.html