On Jul 27, 2009, at 7:18 PM, /dev/rob0 wrote:

On Monday 27 July 2009 05:47:29 Simon Waters wrote:
On Monday 27 July 2009 11:13:34 Martijn de Munnik wrote:
Losing catchall seems to be the best solution but some of my customers
want to create an emailaddress for every website the register on.

m...@desjors.nl
pay...@desjors.nl
deb...@desjors.nl

They could use the "recipient_delimiter" for this.

$postconf -n | grep recipient_delimiter
recipient_delimiter = +

simon+pay...@example.com
simon+...@example.com

Of course the spammers might figure that one out eventually, but most fall into the stupid category. Besides if the spammers figure it out I'll just change my email to s+i+m+...@example.com and refuse email to lesser parts
of the address.

Unfortunately, I have found that many Web programmers don't bother to
read RFC's and find out what characters are allowed in email addresses.
Many sites will not accept a "+" in your username. I think the old
default qmail delimiter, "-", is a better choice for those just now
switching to recipient_delimiter use. Another good one would be ".".

To name one, I tried to get automobile insurance with GEICO, a large
insurer in the USA. If I had access to my old virtual_alias_maps I
could find many more who rejected the "+".

I guess I need prohibit the catch all account and offer the solution with the delimiter instead. That way all spam to bogus email addresses get rejected because the address does not exist.

But still I wonder if there is a way to stop the spam attack. The catchall account did exist for a long time but was under attack only for a short period (couple of hours). Is there a way to limit the effect of such attacks? The user normally only receives about 10 messages per hour. So hundreds of messages per hour is a clear sign that a spam attack is happening.