On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 23:26 +0930, Nick Sharp wrote:

> > This is how I block those pesky spoof mail spams;
> >
> > EDIT main.cf
> > smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
> >         permit_mynetworks
> >         permit_sasl_authenticated
> >         reject_unauth_destination
> >         check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/spoofprotection
> >

> > CREATE /etc/postfix/spoofprotection
> > #spoof protection
> > domain1.com REJECT we dont mail ourselves
> > domain2.com REJECT we dont mail ourselves
> >
> > BUILD MAP TO IT
> > postmap /etc/postfix/spoofprotection
> >
> > RELOAD
> > postfix reload
> >
> > Caveats;
> > Breaks forwarding (where this is relevant)
> > Other caveats may exist too and someone else may point out a better way
> > or other issues. This has worked for me and I am very happy with it.
> >

> Thanks Clunk,
> This looks like the way to go, both Brian and yourselves concur..
>
> Just about to test this, but wanted to confirm your 'breaks forwarding'
> caveat, I do have some transports configured, and internal filters (amavis
> and procmail) but it sounds like these should be ok, can you elaborate a
> little? (the mail serve is stupid busy at around 15000 mails a day - thats
> delivered mail!! So want to be sure.. 1 min of problems means a lot of mail
> to find/verify :)
>
> Thanks Again.
> Nick

My apologies for the terse caveat. As I understand it, there are some
external mail services that roaming users may use that forward mail into
your Postfix claiming to be from your domain. Myself I do not use this.
Relations in England talk of this with Blackberry and O2 when using
IPhone but these are far too modern for me to understand.

Please hope an expert comes along and soon with a fuller answer, but I
think you will be mostly safe with that. If there should be a problem
your sender will no right away in most cases.
C Werclick .Lot
Technical incompetent
Loyal Order Of The Teapot.

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only to be used as an e-mail
and an attachment. Any use of it for other purposes other than as an
e-mail and an attachment will not be covered by any warranty that may or
may not form part of this e-mail and attachment.