I'm considering FreeBSD as an alternative, but I was wondering what
people think of FreeBSD as a platform for Postfix. It's obviously not
as easy to maintain as Ubuntu, but it does have a reputation for
stability. Any thoughts, recommendations or experiences would be
appreciated.

As you still have plenty of time until the possible switchover, I definitely recommend FreeBSD 8, once out of the BETA and RC stage. The new NFS implementation alone would be worth it.

My experience on FreeBSD is that if possible, maintenance is a breeze, if you dont mind digging bit more inside - the graphical tools might be lacking, but then the automation of updates and the port system are something that makes BSD's definitely an easy to administer system for me. For what it's worth I'm running postfix on all my BSD machines and it has never let me down.

And of course man pages and the excellent handbook are your friends.

-Reko