On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 09:01, Guy<wyldf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Postfix 2.5.5 with Amavis/CLAM. Also looking at adding
> SpamAssassin in the near future. I've also got Postfix Policyd V2 on
> my gateways.
> I've currently got this all running on Ubuntu (Hardy 8.04) and it's
> been fine so far.
> I have had one or two problems along the way, not with Postfix itself,
> but things like NFS at one stage (mail stores are on NFS mounts) so
> I'm considering moving away from Ubuntu as and when servers get
> replaced by newer hardware. This may be in the next 6 to 12 months as
> our current hardware is nearing it's limits.
>
> I'm considering FreeBSD as an alternative, but I was wondering what
> people think of FreeBSD as a platform for Postfix. It's obviously not
> as easy to maintain as Ubuntu, but it does have a reputation for
> stability. Any thoughts, recommendations or experiences would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Guy

I use FreeBSD with the packages you mention, but theyre' all wrapped
up with Maia Mailguard. I consider it a very clean all-in-one package
for Antispam/Antivirus. My user base is about 275 people, so it's all
on one box - a Dell 1950 with 1g RAM, and it hardly breaks a sweat.

I have lots of other FreeBSD boxes as well, and simply replace
sendmail on each one with postfix.

I am biased, but I've long preferred FreeBSD to any flavor of Linux
for ease of administration - FreeBSD simply makes more sense to me
than any Linux I've ever touched. Others will differ, but that's my
preference.

Tastes great, less filling.

Kurt