Hi,

> I'm considering FreeBSD as an alternative, but I was wondering what
> people think of FreeBSD as a platform for Postfix. It's obviously not
> as easy to maintain as Ubuntu, but it does have a reputation for
> stability. Any thoughts, recommendations or experiences would be
> appreciated.

I am currently setting up a mail server based upon Postfix on
FreeBSD. It works as well as one can expect.

Now regarding the ease of maintenance, I would say that you have a
wrong point of view: OS upgrade on a production server should never be
something automated that you run blindly: at any stage, it is possible
that something goes wrong, so you better keep good control when you
are doing an update. That is the reason why I keep on with the RELENG
update track on FreeBSD, that only applies security patches (on a
running server I don't need new features or new drivers for something
I don't use and that could cause trouble to my system).

Beside, I agree with the comments about separation between base OS and
additional software, good documentation, good ports (build from
source, with a flexibility in the options you want to install),
stability of NFS server (nothing specific to do to accept Ubuntu
clients BTW). And yes, I have been an happy user of FreeBSD for more
than 10 years, so I must be biased :)

Bests,

Olivier