How does one use a Dovecot passwd file in place of /etc/passwd to validate
local recipients?  I'm not looking for authentication, just validation.

Documentation is good on how to configure Postfix with Dovecot as an LDA
except for the part about setting "local_recipient_maps =".  Avoiding
backscatter when setting local_recipient_maps to null appears to be left as
an exercise for the Reader.

Proxy:unix would seem the logical choice but there is no way to do so with
an alternate password file.  Neither is there support for a colon-delimited
map type.  The only recommendation I could find was to set the primary
domain up as a virtual but that won't work in this environment.

Seems like such a simple problem, to use an alternate passwd file or query
Dovecot directly before accepting a recipient.  What am I missing?

Pat