>> How does one use a Dovecot passwd file in place of /etc/passwd to validate
>> local recipients?  I'm not looking for authentication, just validation.
>
> Any known table lookup type can be used in local_recipient_maps.
> For a list of known table types on your system, use 'postconf -m'.

Alternate passwd files are not a supported map/table type (per postconf -m and
other
documentation).  That's the crux of this problem.  Have not been able to get
recipient
validation to work with a Dovecot socket either.

> Using unix pipes or SASL is not a direct option, but you should be able
> to source them similarly.

What we have is a password file and Dovecot sockets (as defined in dovecot.conf
and
master.cf).  How would one source them directly for user validation?  What
would the
corresponding main.cf section look like?

Pat