Pat wrote:
> How does one use a Dovecot passwd file in place of /etc/passwd to validate
> local recipients?  I'm not looking for authentication, just validation.
>
> Documentation is good on how to configure Postfix with Dovecot as an LDA
> except for the part about setting "local_recipient_maps =".  Avoiding
> backscatter when setting local_recipient_maps to null appears to be left as
> an exercise for the Reader.
>
> Proxy:unix would seem the logical choice but there is no way to do so with
> an alternate password file.  Neither is there support for a colon-delimited
> map type.  The only recommendation I could find was to set the primary
> domain up as a virtual but that won't work in this environment.
>
> Seems like such a simple problem, to use an alternate passwd file or query
> Dovecot directly before accepting a recipient.  What am I missing?

According to http://www.postfix.org/LOCAL_RECIPIENT_README.html#format ,
Any known table lookup type can be used in local_recipient_maps.

For a list of known table types on your system, use 'postconf -m'.

Using unix pipes or SASL is not a direct option, but you should be able
to source them similarly.