On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 01:48:34AM +0530, Dhiraj Chatpar wrote:

> 1. Most of the emails get through on the first try,

Quantify "most". What fraction is that? Out of what overall volume
(msgs/day)?

> 2. The mails is on an average retried 2-3 times

What is the average time before deferred mail is finally delivered,
excluding mail that is finally bounced.

> 3. 1/3 of the messages bounce

This is a very high proportion. Why does so much of the mail bounce?
Is it expired, or are the recipient addresses invalid?

> 4. the feedback loop looks clean as the employees of my org only send to
> people they know.. thus if you are referring to spam like activity then that
> is in check

Why so many bounces? Are the messages immediately rejected, eventually
rejected or eventually expired?

> 5. I purge the emails every night so there is no question of age
> distribution.

Why do you do that? This is far from best practice. What mail do you
"purge" and how is it accounted for in the above statistics.

Even a 24-hour interval contains an "age distribution".

--
        Viktor.