ML wrote:
Stan,

ML put forth on 11/23/2009 7:33 PM:

I am still confused.

[snip]

Sending spam will get you blacklisted.  Sending backscatter will get you
blacklisted.  Having mismatched A and PTR records will _NOT_ get you
blacklisted.  If might get you deferred by Yahoo for longer than you
might like, but that's about it.

Thank you for the explanation. OK, I can goto Comcast with that. This is what I thought, but I have never had a Comcast circuit before.
Can I just assign mail.xxxxx.com to all of my 13 IP's that I have with them?
That way if I chose to send mail on a server in the future I dont have to deal
with comcast at all?

-ML

It's a bad idea to assign the same PTR to your entire block. If you really can't stand the thought of ever requesting another PTR, at least assign them,

  IP #1 -> mail1.example.com
  IP #2 -> mail2.example.com
  .
  .
  .

so that it's possible to make the forward DNS match. If you point them all to mail.example.com, then to which IP address should mail.example.com resolve?

Since you will be using this one hostname as the mail system's "public" name, I'd suggest naming it something generic. For example, if you're a hosting company, use your name and not the name of your first customer. That way, you reduce the chances that one of your customers is going to have a problem with the name (and possibly request that you change it, or give them their own).