At Wed, 25 Nov 2009 21:51:15 +0100, mouss <mo...@ml.netoyen.net> wrote:
Subject: Re: Multiple Mail domains for reverse ptr records? I'm confused

> do not confuse this with "multihoming", where you assign multiple IPs to
> a single name (that is, you use multiple A for a single name).

Why d so many people who should know better keep giving BAD advice like
this!?!?!?!

Are you really trying to shoot for the lowest common uselessness of
reverse DNS?

PLEASE let us at least advise people to always at least attempt for the
most ideal situation.

There _should_ be one PTR for every _valid_ hostname using a given IP
address.

A hostname cannot be verified, either manually or by machine, as "valid"
in the DNS unless a corresponding PTR points back at it.  It's that
simple.  What "valid" means depends on many factors that are not exactly
important at this point in the discussion.  It is sufficient at this
point to know that there exists a mechanism in the DNS as we use it
today to specify every known "valid" user of a given IP address.

If you do not control your own reverse DNS zones, and the people who do
control your reverse DNS zones are so lame as to not offer you the
ability to specify a reasonable number of PTR records for each of the IP
addresses you use, then you should _seriously_ consider changing to a
provider where you will have the necessary control over your reverse DNS.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                VE3TCP          RoboHack <wo...@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <wo...@planix.com>      Secrets of the Weird <wo...@weird.com>