Ed W wrote:
Wietse Venema wrote:
Ed W:
Hi, I'm using postfix 2.5.7 and having some trouble with the server domain being appended to incomplete sender addresses. I have set

# postconf|grep -e rewrite -e append -e myorigin -e mydomain -e local_header
append_at_myorigin = yes
append_dot_mydomain = no
local_header_rewrite_clients =

Note: local_***HEADER***_rewrite_clients, a feature that
controls how HEADER address are rewritten.

Fair enough - can you please help correct my config given the original goal of avoiding incomplete email addresses having a domain automatically appended?

To clarify the question - the goal is if someone connects via the network (not local sendmail command) and the transcript says "RCPT TO: <asdf>" that this is subsequently bounced as being an invalid recipient. What is happening at present is that it's being translated to "a...@mydomain.com" and being delivered to that recipient (I accept that I can reject this during the smtp conversation, and this is done on our main configuration, but I have a subset of customers for which I must accept this email and *bounce* it later)

I suspect that it's necessary to set "append_at_myorigin=no" ? However, the documentation warns of this being an unsupported configuration? Can you please explain the correct way to achieve this configuration (surely it's a fairly normal configuration for mailservers these days?)

However, note the docs for append_at_myorigin says that addresses have $remote_header_rewrite_domain appended and this is blank in my config? So I am still unsure why something is getting appended at all?

I'm reasonably sure this configuration worked as desired with an earlier version of Postfix?

Thanks

Ed W