Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Please see embedded comments.

On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:11 AM, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 11:04 -0500, Dennis Putnam wrote:
>> I want to enforce TLS but I don't care what certificate the receiver
>> uses. Thanks.
> Apart from the fact that enforcing TLS with SMTP is usually a bad idea,
> setting the
> smtp_tls_security_level = encrypt
> should usually do what you mean, enforce TLS with the remote SMTP
> server, but accept untrusted certs or even those with a wrong name.

I don't get to choose, I just have to do it. How these parameters work is still
a little confusing to me. I have smtpd and smtp security levels set to 'may.'
What I am trying to do it set up opportunistic TLS except for specific hosts
that I need to enforce (smtp_tls_per_site). What I noticed is that this one
site was using Thawte as the signing authority. I tried adding their root
certificate to my config and now the error has changed to a warning about
untrusted TLS connection but the mail seems to be moving now. Did I stumble on
to a fix or am I still missing something?

>> The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is
>> strictly confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
>> dissemination, distribution, or duplication of any part of this e-mail
>> or any attachment is prohibited. If you are not the intended
>> recipient, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all
>> copies, including the attachments.
> There is (at least in most countries) no legal ground for so called
> "disclaimers".... and they're quite stupid and annoying when sending
> them to public mailing lists.

I am quite familiar with the arguments but again it is not my choice. If you
want, I can give you the number of our corporate lawyers and you can try to
convince them. Perhaps you will have better luck than me. :-)

> Cheers,
> Chris.

Dennis Putnam
Sr. IT Systems Administrator