> Does any Edge MTA other than Microsoft Exchange support the client-side
> of ATRN?
No idea. I'd say ATRN is a dead subject besides being used by some exchange
users and being offered by some ISPs (europe mostly, not sure why).

> Are there enough ATRN-dependent Exchange shops with part-time or dynamic
> Internet connections to justify this architecture?
Can't say. If forced, i will say no, there aren't enough.

> Does Postfix also need an ATRN client?

Postfix is the main choice for some important linux distros. Can't say i've
heard
users asking for atrn on their forums (thinking ubuntu at least).

> Is supporting ATRN worth the effort? It is an interesting problem to
> solve, a cute intellectual puzzle, but perhaps our energies are best
> directed elsewhere?
Perhaps. In fact the main idea was to implement it as a totally decoupled
postfix service while reusing postfix code as much as possible. That would
also allow one to test user response by packaging it as a postfix extension
in some linux distros. If positive, then one can safely decide its ok to merge
to main tree.
The only way one can doit is to dup the postfix source, code atrn service, do
some proper maintenance against postfix source updates, test user response, if
ok -
 only then think about patching smtpd.

Now that you put the problem this way, if I would be a postfix developer i would
vote against atrn support :)

But i learned ways of doing things in postfix. Much appreciated.

--
adrian ilarion ciobanu
adria...@ciobanu.name