On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 03:40:43PM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:

> 1) What is the need for ATRN in the first place? What are the
> options (VPN, ETRN + dynamic DNS, ...). I find almost no information
> about supported ATRN solutions with other major MTAs (not counting
> qmail patches here), so it is not obvious that there is a problem
> worth solving.

Should ODMR support be in the primary MTA queue? Or should mail
for ODMR destinations be batched up onto disk out of the MTA's
queue, and served by dedicated servers as in:

    http://www.plonk.de/sw/odmr/

It is far from clear that one wants to gum-up the active and deferred
queues of a real MTA with ODMR mail. If we can deliver envelope + message
to suitable stable storage, and use a standalone ODMR server to make
said storage available to ODMR clients, that is likely a better solution
and is much less intrusive.

You just a need a delivery agent that records the envelope in detail and
delivers to a maildir or similar associated with the owner of the domain.
Then a non-Postfix server that supports retrieval. No pointless retries
or gumming up the deferred/active queue unless the user connects, though
your probably need a daily scan to bounce over-age messages.

--
        Viktor.

environment.  If you are interested, please drop me a note.