On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Jonathan Tripathy <jon...@abpni.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> How scaleable is postfix and dovecot, using mysql for user databases, on one
> server?
>
> My current server has 256MB RAM (It's a VM on slicehost). How many users do
> you think that will handle?
>
> How much RAM/CPU would I need to host 600 users? Please remember, that due
> to the nature of email, I imagine that the server won't be constantly
> hammered.

You'll probably find that one "heavy" user will take the resources of
10s or 100s of lightweight users.  With only 600 users, you're not
going to get a lot of averaging so you'll have to figure out what your
specific users are going to need.  60 heavy users might bring the
server to it's knees, 6000 light users might work out fine.

It might be better to think in terms of messages per hour than number of users.